Expanded Clay Aggregate also known as ECA is commonly used in the world of hydroponics and aquaponics. Hydroponics companies in India have started using Expanded Clay in their projects. The large pore space of ECA ensures proper water flow with no clogs or blockages, and it has the capacity to hold plenty of air bubbles, which helps keep the root zones of most plants aerated and oxygenated.
ECA Hydroponics method is also very affordable, and can be reused over and over, with no need to discard the material. And because it’s a loose growing medium, compared to crushed granite or pea gravel, it’s easy to harvest plants, which can save large-scale hydroponics and aquaponics producers quite a bit of time. ECA hydroponics method is an appropriate method both for media bed and Dutch bucket techniques alike. For 1st time in India, ECA is manufactured and if you are a hydroponics retailer or supplier in India and interested in using ECA for your next hydroponics project, get in touch with us online right away. Many hydroponics companies in India have a track record of using ECA Hydroponics technique adopting Expanded Clay Aggregate in their project and are seeing excellent results.
Hydroponics is a subset of hydroculture, the method of growing plants without soil using Expanded Clay Aggregate balls which are also known as ECA balls, using mineral nutrient solutions in a water solvent. Terrestrial plants may be grown with only their roots exposed to the mineral solution, or the roots may be supported by an inert medium like Expanded Clay Aggregate (ECA). The nutrients in hydroponics can come from an array of different sources like for e.g. these can include but are not limited to byproduct from fish waste, duck manure, or normal nutrients.
While adopting ECA Hydroponics methodology, Expanded Clay Aggregate or ECA is used as a direct replacement for soil, mainly in hydro culture and hydroponic systems. Hydroponic cultivation with Expanded Clay Aggregate or ECA is what is called a closed system. Expanded Clay Aggregate ( ECA ) has a safe pH and is not compactable and is reusable, making the product highly recommended and good for the environment.
Expanded Clay Aggregate ( ECA ) allows the system to be stable in form and structure, while allowing excess liquid to be absorbed. Another great advantage of ECA expanded clay aggregate in this system, is that it is very light and easy to manage.
Baked clay pellets also known as Expanded Clay balls or Expanded Clay Aggregates or lightweight ECA or Leca are suitable for hydroponic systems in which all nutrients are carefully controlled in water solution. The clay pellets are inert, pH neutral and do not contain any nutrient value.
The clay is formed into round pellets and fired in rotary kilns at 1,200 °C (2,190 °F). This causes the clay to expand, like popcorn, and become porous. It is light in weight, and does not compact over time. The shape of an individual pellet can be irregular or uniform depending on manufacturing process. Expanded Clay Aggregate (ECA) or expanded clay is an inert, ecologically sustainable and re-usable growing medium because of its ability to be cleaned and sterilized, typically by washing in solutions of white vinegar, chlorine bleach, or hydrogen peroxide and rinsing completely.
Benefits of Expanded Clay Aggregates – ECA in Hydroponics and Aquaponics:
- These porous Expanded Clay Aggregates absorb moisture and allow for fantastic drainage of water from the roots of the plant. Not only do they absorb moisture, they’ll absorb any nutrient solution you choose to add.
- The pores in the aggregates, the space between them, and their superior drainage function keeps air circulating so roots get plenty of oxygen.
- They can last a long time. Just wash and reuse as many times as you need. You don’t have to worry about losing nutrients through numerous washes because there aren’t any to begin with. If they lose their usefulness, you can add them to the soil of your outdoor gardens to increase aeration and organic content.
- They’re pH neutral and rather inhospitable to bugs.
- You can crush them to increase water retention for use in the germination stage of growing. ( We also supply crushed Expanded Clay Aggregates)
- They’re inexpensive since they are cheap to make and can save you money reusing them over years.
- Expanded clay is also sometimes called Hydroton, clay pebbles, light expanded clay aggregate (LECA), or simple clay. It resembles brown pebbles. This grow medium can be rinsed and reused, making it a popular, economical choice. It's often paired with net pots or mesh pots, which holds the medium neatly in the system..
If you are a hydroponics retailer or supplier in India and are interested in using ECA, Get A Sample Or Enquire Further Today!
Synonyms: Aeroponics, Aquaponics, Aquascaping, Hydroponics passive, Hydroculture
Get a no obligation quote!