- The introduction of new methods in strengthening concrete has been under work for decades.
- Developing countries like India now use the extensive reinforced construction works materials such as Expanded Clay Aggregate (ECA®) and other ingredients in RCC construction.
- In the construction industry, major attention has been drawn to the use of fine Expanded Clay Aggregate (ECA®) instead of using coarse aggregate or any other materials to make concrete light weight.
- In this presentation, the results of a real-time work carried out by light weight Expanded Clay Aggregate (ECA®) as good mineral admixtures in the construction of high strength lightweight concrete is showcased.
- In an experimental research carried out, it was found out that when Expanded Clay Aggregate (ECA®) was used as an aggregate in the making of concrete the tensile strength and the compressive strength of the concrete was at optimal level compared to using other normal aggregate (coarse aggregate) in the construction.
Categorizing Expanded Clay Aggregate (ECA®) By Density Grade :
|TYPE||DENSITY GRADE||PACKING DENSITY Kg/m3||COMPRESSIVE STRENGTH (MPa)||WATER ADSORPTION RATE (%)|
|LIGHT WEIGHT ECA®|
HIGH STRENGTH ECA®
Benefits Of Using Expanded Clay Aggregate (ECA®) In High Strength Lightweight Concrete:
- Reduction of dead load that may bring about reduction in footings sizes and smaller and lighter upper structure.
- Possible reduction in reinforcement and reduction in cement quantity.
- Lighter and smaller precast elements needing smaller and less expensive handling and transporting equipment.
- Reductions in the sizes of slabs, columns and beam dimensions that result in bigger space availability.
- High thermal insulation.
- Enhanced fire resistance